Proper mail headers

James Long list at museum.rain.com
Mon Jan 30 17:03:15 PST 2006

> From: Robert Slade <bsd at bathnetworks.com>
> Subject: Re: Proper mail headers
> To: "freebsd-questions at freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>
> On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 17:13, Duane Whitty wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I wanted to check to see if I am using the proper etiquette when filling
> > in my headers, especially when responding to someone's post.  Should I
> > just let let my reply go to the person named in Reply-To or should I
> > reply to the list and CC the poster, or is it the other way around?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --Duane Whitty
> >
> > duane @greenmeadow.ca
>
> Duane,
>
> I don't think that there is a right way to do it. I normally just hit
> reply to all which normally does to: the original poster and cc's the
> list. In this case it didn't as you have reply to: set as the mailing
> list.
>
> Rob

And please,

** LOOK ** at the recipients

when you "Reply to all"...  A lot of mor^H^H^Hfolks seem to think that
if they cc the list twice, they'll get twice the response.  There's no
need to post two copies of the same message to the list.

Case in point:

> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
> Cc: "Daniel A." <ldrada at gmail.com>, questions at freebsd.org

> You seem to have something misconfigured. This list frequently exceeds 100
> posts a day.

Partially because folks such as this poster don't realize what they're
doing.