ppp and pf interacting badly?

cpghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri Jan 27 17:05:49 PST 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 07:12:14PM -0500, Peter wrote:
> --- cpghost <cpghost at cordula.ws> wrote:
> > Is there any way to tell pf startup script to wait for ppp
> > until all needed interfaces have really come up?
>
> >From the OpenBSD 3.8 manpage (should be good for you):
>
> Host name resolution and interface to address translation are done
> at ruleset load-time.  When the address of an interface (or host
> name) changes (under DHCP or PPP, for instance), the ruleset must
> be reloaded for the change to be reflected in the kernel.  Sur-
> rounding the interface name (and optional modifiers) in parentheses
> changes this behaviour.  When the interface name is surrounded by
> parentheses, the rule is automatically updated whenever the inter-
> face changes its address.  The ruleset does not need to be reload-
> ed.  This is especially useful with nat.

Ah, good point! I'll try this on the next maintenance window!
Thanks for the valuable hint.

Are you sure it also works for interfaces that don't exist yet?
It's not a question of tun0 changing addresses (static IP in
this particular case), but of tun0 not existing before ppp has
a chance to start at all?

-cpghost.

--
Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/