open source freebsd security appliance project

Danial Thom danial_thom at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 09:24:26 PST 2006

The question of the day is: why are you porting
it to 6.0? Have you proven that its better?

There are many commercial "appliances" that are
sticking with 4.x because its more suitable for
that kind of application. The issue with an
open-source type of appliance is capacity; The
kind of people that really need such an appliance
AND have the talent in house to benefit from it
usually need more than ALTQ and IPFIREWALL can
deliver. You'll only diminish that by going to
6.0, while also introducing the one thing that
will keep anyone from using any product:
instability. After all, a slow stable appliance
is of some use to some people; while even a
really fast unstable appliance is of use to
no-one at all.

DT

http://isolution.dyndns.biz/en/si/sc/feature.html