cannot ping anything

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Fri Jan 20 12:13:50 PST 2006

Derek Ragona wrote:
> See if you can ping your own interface.  You should be able to ping it
> on both the loop back 127.0.0.1 and the 192.168.1.128 address.

Well, he said he'd tried the loopback, but it's worth double
checking of course. A finger fumble and a resulting false negative
can lead to hours of useless troubleshooting. Fun for some, pain for
most!

The OP wrote:
> [...]

If I'm not mistaken (warning: lately I have been mistaken more than
is usual ;) you're going to get the link#1 indicator prior to your
box having had any reason to arp for the router, meaning "generally,
that IP address should be somewhere in that direction". You'll see
the MAC address after the box has tried and succeeded with an arp
request, meaning "that IP address is precisely right there".

That the indicator changes to a MAC address is a sure sign of basic
NIC functionality as well as cabling that transmits and receives OK,
at least some of the time.

The fact that you can use arp and DHCP but not ping smells like
there is leftover ipf/nat configuration or related kernel/module
issues that are preventing appropriate packet flow. Ensuring that
such features are disabled is the only thing I can suggest short of
reinstalling, which I am fairly confident would solve the problem.

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348