vinum RAID 1, FreeBSD 4-STABLE & two different size drives

Mark Cullen mark.r.cullen at gmail.com
Wed Jan 18 04:13:32 PST 2006

Hello :-)

I've come across a deal where by I can either buy two identical 20GB
drives, or a 20GB drive and a 40GB drive for the same price as the two
20GB's. I was intending to use the drives for a RAID 1 array and have
read that ideally the drives should be identical, but it is do-able with
different size drives.

Obviously as both options are the same price I would like to get more
for my money and get the 40GB and 20GB drive, rather than two 20GB's.
This should also give me the option of buying only a single 40GB drive
later on for cheap if I need to bump the space up a bit, rather than
buying two drives.

Simple questions really I suppose. Is having two different size drives
going to work? Is it going to make configuration trickier in any way?
Are there any disadvantages (other than I will be losing out on 20GB on
the 40GB drive, and that it's only going to be as fast as the slowest
drive I imagine)? I've never ever touched vinum before!

Thanks in advance for any advice / comments,
Mark