PAE causing system crashes
kris at obsecurity.org
Tue Jan 17 19:26:09 PST 2006
On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 08:38:08PM -0600, Michael Barnett wrote:
> It ran fine when we were only throwing a few dozen qps at it... when
> we tried to throw about 350qps its way, it was much much slower...
> slower than our existing server with significantly fewer resources
> I never could figure out what the issue was... tried recompiling with
> different options, allocating more and less memory to mysql (really
> to innodb as all our tables are innodb), and a number of system
> tweaks to no avail.
> Are you running it on an opteron, or on a xeon? I have heard things
> go much smoother on AMD hardware.
I've used it for mysql benchmarking (using supersmack) on amd hardware
and got quite good performance from it. I've not used it with a
'real' database on that machine.
> Anyways.. the damage is done. We are back on i386 and I just need to
> make it go! Right now i am just running with the stable non-PAE
> kernel that limits access to 4G of memory while i work this out.
It could be a driver issue, although since you're not adding drivers
to the PAE config I don't know why this would be. Still, you could
post your dmesg so that someone might be able to recognize a problem.
Try looking for an updated BIOS. It could be that your HW has a buggy
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Size: 187 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-questions/attachments/20060117/b18bf051/attachment.bin
More information about the freebsd-questions