httpd could not be started

Frank Staals frankstaals at gmx.net
Fri Jan 13 11:31:07 PST 2006

Greg Barniskis wrote:

> Frank Staals wrote:
>
>> Greg Barniskis wrote:
>>
>>> apache2_enable="YES"
>>>
>>> in your rc.conf?
>>>
>>> The need for this as well as the proper syntax should be noted in
>>> the file /usr/ports/www/apache2/pkg-msg. For any other port you
>>> install there's probably gold nuggets of info in its pkg-msg file.
>>> This stuff displays during the make install, but then so does
>>> several K of other info so it's not hard to miss these things.
>>>
>> In fact, it doesn't realy matter if you add apache_enable="YES" to
>> rc.conf ( since het installed apache13 adding apache2_enable="YES"
>> would be quite useless ... )
>

> Duh. Sorry, the later line about him trying apache22 got stuck in my
> mind.
>
>> when you start it manually from commandline, adding it to rc.conf is
>> only usefull when you want to start apache from boot, which can be
>> quite usefull, but it can't be the reason why apache wouldn't start.
>

> Oh. I was sure that I'd read in a previous thread that the lack of an
> enable flag would stop it from being started at all, but that must
> have been for a different port or in a different context. Anyway,
> thanks for the correction, always glad to have my misconceptions
> destroyed.

If I recall correctly you can only start the services in /etc/rc.d/ if
you have them in /etc/rc.conf with '/etc/rc.d/<service-name> start'.  (
But off-course there is a way to start them without adding them to
rc.conf : '/etc/rc.d/<service-name> forcestart' ). You must have mixed
up the two ( /etc/rc.d/ and /usr/local/etc/rc.d/ )

--
-Frank Staals