Hard crashes after installation of Intel(R) PRO/1000

Geoffrey Mainland mainland at apeiron.net
Thu Jan 12 10:48:19 PST 2006

Hi,

I'm currently running a gateway box with three NICs, an Intel 82558
Pro/100 Ethernet (fxp), Intel 82559 Pro/100 Ethernet (fxp), and a newly
installed Intel(R) PRO/1000 (reported as Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network
Connection Version - 3.2.18, uses the em driver). After installing the
pro/1000, the machine periodically crashes hard. Sometimes it stays up
for a few hours, and sometimes for a day, but never for more than two
days. This box is a gateway connected to a wifi network, a cable modem
and a switch, runs various daemons, serves NFS etc. It's running a
recent build of 6.0-STABLE (built 1/11) with the BSD scheduler and
PREEMPTION on and FAST_IPSEC. When it crashes it sometimes reboots, but
usually it just completely locks up. I have been unable to get a crash dump.

Has anyone had similar problems? It seems to be related to the em
device, as this didn't happen before.

Thanks,
Geoff