Sound on Dell D600 laptop

SPYRIDON PAPADOPOULOS SP373 at student.apu.ac.uk
Thu Jan 12 10:44:15 PST 2006

Hi,

first do a
#pciconf -lv  to find your card. I have a Latitude C810 and the card is a ESS Maestro PCI Audio (I think you have the same..) on a FreeBSD 5.4. Release. If these instructions are different somehow in FreeBSD 6.0 i would like to know it, please.
Then check the /boot/defaults/loader.conf file for the apropriate sound device for your system. The one also found in the output of pciconf -lv.
and add them in the /boot/loader.conf file which over writes what is in /boot/defaults/loader.conf
I for example have the following two lines added:
sound_load="YES"
snd_maestro3_load="YES"

restart the computer and try
#cat /dev/sndstat

..make sure if you are using kde to start kMix. It happened to me before that the volume was turned down.