replacement for Acrobat Professional?

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Wed Jan 11 15:13:57 PST 2006

On Wednesday, 11 January 2006 at  9:22:46 -0500, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 10, 2006 at 11:59:35PM -0600, Kevin Kinsey wrote:
>> It's up to Michael, though, to tell us how well it works, I suppose.  No
>> package in packages-6-current/Latest, so I'm building from src, and
>> headed for bed before it gets done I imagine.
>
> So, for posterity...
>
> I'd rate pdftops and flpsed as 95% of the way there for this
> audience.

===>   Generating temporary packing list
install  -s -o root -g wheel -m 555 /usr/ports/print/flpsed/work/flpsed-0.3.5/src/flpsed /usr/X11R6/bin
install  -o root -g wheel -m 444 /usr/ports/print/flpsed/work/flpsed-0.3.5/README /usr/X11R6/share/doc/flpsed

*sigh* Yet Another Undocumented Program.  "README" is 92 lines long,
half of which deals with installation issues.  I'll look later.

> Some small things don't work, particularly "layered" elements.  Some
> parts of the manuscript I was given were highlighted, for example.  In
> the original the highlighting is transparent, while the pdftops/flpsed
> combination the highlighting obliterates the underlying text.  There
> are other, very minor variations.
>
> That last 5% might not be critical for most people; I would
> certainly use it for preparing personal documents, or even documents
> within my company.  But OpenOffice's PDF export is far easier for
> preparing PDFs in general.

And ghostscript is even easier.

I'd need convincing that any PDF editor is the correct way to prepare
documents; there are much more precise tools available for that.  I
thought your original requirement was to mark up existing PDFs, and it
still sounds like a good idea for that.

Greg