Create more dsp and mixer devices

User Gandalf gandalf at messias.qhigh.com
Wed Jan 11 07:17:52 PST 2006

>>The gaim instant messenger has support for three sound devices: ESD,
>>Arts and using a command. I'm not sure what 'ESD' means. Is it the
>>'esound' package? (Enlightment sound daemon.) Somewhere I read that
>>FreeBSD can do the same (e.g. sharing one audio device to multiple
>>programs). Can you point me to a documentation where I can read more
>>about this?
>>

>http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/sound-setup.html#SOUND-MULTIPLE-SOURCES

Thank you! I could setup the device so it can be shared between multiple
applications. I still have a problem. gaim has ESD, Arts and 'Custom
command' interfaces. I only have a shared dsp device so I need a simple
command line program that can play mp3, ogg, wav and au files. I looked
over the whole audio category here:

http://www.freebsd.org/ports/audio.html

but I could not find a simple program that can do this. There are
separate players for mpeg files, ogg files, wave files etc. But I could
not find a program that can play all of them. Do you know a good program
for this purpose?

Thanks,

Les