quotas + jail ?

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Wed Jan 11 05:19:51 PST 2006

Vladimir Dvorak schrieb:

> I have simple question - is possible to use quotas in jail(8) environment ?
> [...]
>
> It seems to be impossible ( some kernel restriction ). :-( Is there some
> way to allow this ? My last idea was to replicate users and groups to
> "main" system and use quotas from it - but it is not good solution if we
> have several hundreds users in jail(8).

You don't need to replicate users and groups, just use UIDs and GIDs.
There is a serious disadvantage: if you set quota for a specific UID
then it affects all users with the same UID in different jails and even
at the host; I guess this is not what you want.

If you want to restrict the space that can be consumed by a jail then
you might use memory devices, i.e.

# create 1 GiB file
$ dd if=/dev/zero of=myjail321 count=16k bs=64k
$ mdconfig -af myjail321
md321
$ mkdir /jail/myjail321
$ mount /dev/md321 /jail/myjail321
$ cd /usr/src
$ make installworld DESTDIR=/jail/myjail321

and so on ...

Regards
Björn