port installation

Andras Kende andras at kende.com
Tue Jan 10 19:52:43 PST 2006

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of je killen
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 7:35 PM
To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
Subject: port installation

I am trying to install apache 1.3.34. I cd to the apache13 dir and
attempt make install and am told that apache 1.3.33 doesn't exist. I
downloaded apache 1.3.34 and put it in the /usr/ports/distfiles dir but
since make is looking for v 1.3.33 it doesn't see version 1.3.34. So
What now? How wouid I tell it to use 1.3.34 instead of 1.3.33? Does it
require ports upgrade?
What if the portupgrade utility has a different version number and when
I try make install on it it looks for a different version (which is not
on my system as a distfile)?
I'm not complaining. I'm just trying to learn as I go.
Thanks to who ever responds.
JEK
jekillen at prodigy.net
PS: general info I discovered on my own re configuration of X server
with X.org (rather than xfree86):
the configuration file used to be xf86config and is now xorgconfig. I
got some site posted data that
called the configuration process X.org -config, which it is not. It is
just xorgconfig, virtually the same
script as the old xf86config script. I got my X server up after, as
usual, asking stupid questions
and wasting someone's time, probably, and figuring it out my self in
the meantime. There is some
thing magical about asking questions, even if you don't get an
objective response; it's almost
like telepathy.

Hello,

You should update the Ports tree first, which will include the latest
Apache 1.3.34:

# cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup-without-gui
# make install
# make clean

Create /etc/cvsupfile:
*default  host=cvsup2.FreeBSD.org
*default  base=/usr
*default  prefix=/usr
*default  release=cvs
*default  tag=none
*default  delete use-rel-suffix
*default tag=.
ports-all
doc-all

# /usr/local/bin/cvsup -g -L2 /etc/cvsupfile

# cd /usr/ports/www/apache13
# make install clean

Best regards,

Andras Kende