Sparc vs i386 architecture

Robert Slade bsd at bathnetworks.com
Sat Jan 7 23:31:31 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 04:51, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> What machine code exploits currently exist for FreeBSD on the i386
> other than the F00F bug, which has already been patched out?
> I wasn't aware of any.
>
> Ted

Ted,

Good point. However, in my case I'm using the sparc (its a U10) because
it there. I originally got it as I needed to find out about
Solaris/Sparc. It was lying in the back of a cupboard so when I started
to investigate replacements for a domain based on W2k using FBSD I
dusted it off and I'm using it for the BDC. The only thing I really
noticed is the disk(s) are slow compared (SUN's IDE) to the PDC which
has a fast scsi setup. Given the choice I think I would still go for a
good sparc from Ebay over a i386.

Rob