Flash Disk

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Jan 5 14:21:31 PST 2006

On 2006-01-05 15:28, Teilhard Knight <teilhk at crosswinds.net> wrote:
> Can someone tell me, or point to me where I can find, how to
> mount a Flash Disk in release 6.0? I have Googled, but I simply
> cannot find the right way.  An icon to mount and unmount on the
> desktop would be nice. Thanks.

When I plug my USB JetFlash disk, the following appears in
/var/log/messages (and the system console, but I mostly use X11
these days):

    umass0: USB Flash Disk, rev 2.00/2.00, addr 2
    da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
    da0:  Removable Direct Access SCSI-2 device
    da0: 1.000MB/s transfers
    da0: 250MB (512000 512 byte sectors: 64H 32S/T 250C)

When you plug the USB flash disk in, /dev/da0 (or another daX
device) is automatically created.  If the flash disk already has
partitions (they usually come with a single FAT partition),
you'll also see da0s1 or something similar:

    # ls -l /dev/da*
    crw-r-----  1 root  operator  -   4,  44 Oct 16 17:38 /dev/da0

If you see only da0, it's possible that the 'raw disk' is
formatted using FAT, without a real BIOS-style partition, which
means that you should be able to 'mount' it with something like:

    # /sbin/mount_msdosfs /dev/da0 /mnt

That's it.  Copy files to and from the /mnt directory.  When you
are done, make sure you unmount the flash disk before removing
it.  If you don't, chances are your kernel will panic when it
discovers the physical flash disk is gone.

    # umount /mnt

Now, it's safe to pull the flash disk out.