Kernel Compilation...

Crispy Beef crispy.beef at ntlworld.com
Wed Jan 4 03:02:51 PST 2006

Nikolas Britton wrote:
> On 1/3/06, Crispy Beef <crispy.beef at ntlworld.com> wrote:
>
>>Jonathan Chen wrote:

>>>Internal compiler errors usually indicate faulty memory. If you rerun
>>>your compilation and it fails in the same spot, then it could be
>>>software. If the compilations fails in a different area, you've
>>>probably got faulty hardward.
>>
>>It's looking very much like faulty hardware at the moment...bit of a shame
>>really.  Have used Gentoo Linux on this machine before (compiling from source)
>>and that's always worked just fine, I only ditched it a couple of weeks ago to
>>have a play with FreeBSD again.
>>
>>Also tried the memtest86 util from a floppy, that doesn't even boot properly
>>so looks like it might be a no go.  :-/
>>

> To rule out hardware problems rebuild the generic kernel using the
> virgin GENERIC kernel config file:
>
> 0. If you've messed with /etc/make.conf change it back to the defaults!
> 1. su
> 2. cd /usr/src/sys/i386/conf
> 3. rm -r ../compile/GENERIC
> 4. config GENERIC
> 5. cd ../compile/GENERIC
> 6. make depend
> 7. make
> 8. make install
> 9. reboot
>
> If you can't get to step 8 you have a hardware problem (or FreeBSD
> wasn't installed correctly, see step 5 below):
>
> (Very Basic/Limited Flow chart)
>
> 1. Go into the BIOS and reset everything to their safety defaults
> etc., repeat generic kernel build and if it's successful...
>
> 2. Pull the Mem, Hard drive, etc. clean/dust/etc. Reinsert etc.,
> repeat generic kernel build and if it's successful...
>
> 3. Sub Out/Replace Memory, repeat generic kernel build...
>
> 4. Wipe (zero out) Hard Drive and Reinstall a virgin copy of FreeBSD 6 from CD:
> ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ISO-IMAGES-i386/6.0/6.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso
> MD5 (6.0-RELEASE-i386-disc1.iso) = cfe3c1a2b4991edd6a294ca9b422b9d5
> Check the MD5 hash before you burn the disc and verify the disc after
> it's burned. Hit "A" then "Q" for FDISK and Disklabel and Install only
> the "Kern-Developer" Distribution set, don't install the ports system.
> repeat generic kernel build...  Oh... and run a defective sector scan
> of the hard drive using the diag disk that came with it, you can find
> the zero out and diag software on the UBCD CD link below.
>
> 5. If you've done steps 1 - 4 and still can't build the kernel your
> system is broke, I'll take it off your hands if you'd like. :-)
> Also... you may want to start with step 4 then do 1, 2, and 3.

Thanks for all the tips, am trying to compile the GENERIC kernel as I type
this so will see what happens there, I had tried my own kernel config with and
without a few settings in make.conf but it's reset back to what it was at the
moment.

Have also located the final version of BIOS so will flash that too to see if
it helps with anything.

Will let you know how it goes.

Cheers.