Kernel Compilation...

Robert Huff roberthuff at rcn.com
Mon Jan 2 10:40:49 PST 2006

Crispy Beef writes:

>  I wasn't aware that I needed to do a buildworld too, am limited
>  on the amount of disk space I have, the whole disk is 6Gb with a
>  1Gb /home and over 3Gb /usr.  Is that going to be enough?

	1) It is _very_ important to keep the kernel and userland in
sync.
	2)

huff@>> du -s /usr/src
442996  /usr/src

	As a ball-park estimate, figure 1Gb when you need to update.
	Assuming you have a high-speed connection, I would rebuild
world and kernel per the handbook.  After installing and testing the
new system I would save the kernel config file elsewhere and delete
/usr/src and /usr/obj.  THe next time you need to rebuild you'll
need to clear the disk and download the entire source tree, but
you'll have the disk available until then.

				Robert Huff