swap_pager

pobox at verysmall.org pobox at verysmall.org
Tue Feb 28 07:16:51 PST 2006

I am running FreeBSD 5.4 in VMware using USB 1.1 external HDD as a disk,
which means quite slow I/O. It works fine for my needs, I only get

swap_pager: indefinite wait buffer: device: da0s1f, blkno: xxx, size: xxx

when performing heavy operations, such as rsync of a 1 GB database dump
file.

All references to the problem I found point out hardware failure. Could,
however, the problem be simply that the I/O does not manage to let the
request go through within the 20 seconds wait time and that the hardware
is OK (apart from the fact that I/O is slow? And - is this message just
a notice, or does it mean that I get data corruption?

Thanks,
Iv