regarding new logo...

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 04:11:14 PST 2006

On 2/28/06, Kristian Vaaf <vaaf at broadpark.no> wrote:

> You like the logo?
>
> Speaking as a lecturer at the Royal Academy of Arts, on behalf
> of myself and a lot of other designers, the new FreeBSD logo is worthless.
>
> It's useless eyecandy. As if we don't have enough of that already.
>
> The logo competition wasn't held properly. It was only announced
> internally within
> FreeBSD's circles and not promoted through design universities, communities
> and such. Also the people hosting the competition have acted rather arrogant
> towards many that I know who just wanted to help.
>
> Second, only a few selected people (who may not know anything about design
> as far as we're concerned) got to choose the logo. In my opinion, it is to show
> how the FreeBSD project itself neglects its real life users.
>
> The logo is, again, eyecandy. Though in some cases pleasant to look at, it does
> not fulfill the criterias of a modern day logo. These, however, do:
>
> http://youworkforthem.com/product.php?sku=P0370
>
> Anyway Don Poynter, his e-mail is gak at tomsksoft dot com.

I'd tend to agree with you, ever notice the arrow in the FedEx logo? I
like everything I see here:
http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/640-1.png but it's mostly just
eyecandy. The only logo candidates I see on the page are the two tone
black and white beastie heads. Anyways onto the FedEx logo, one of the
best branding logos I can think of:
http://www.thesneeze.com/mt-archives/000273.php

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/