regarding new logo...

Kristian Vaaf vaaf at broadpark.no
Tue Feb 28 03:05:12 PST 2006

You like the logo?

Speaking as a lecturer at the Royal Academy of Arts, on behalf
of myself and a lot of other designers, the new FreeBSD logo is worthless.

It's useless eyecandy. As if we don't have enough of that already.

The logo competition wasn't held properly. It was only announced
internally within
FreeBSD's circles and not promoted through design universities, communities
and such. Also the people hosting the competition have acted rather arrogant
towards many that I know who just wanted to help.

Second, only a few selected people (who may not know anything about design
as far as we're concerned) got to choose the logo. In my opinion, it is to show
how the FreeBSD project itself neglects its real life users.

The logo is, again, eyecandy. Though in some cases pleasant to look at, it does
not fulfill the criterias of a modern day logo. These, however, do:

http://youworkforthem.com/product.php?sku=P0370

Anyway Don Poynter, his e-mail is gak at tomsksoft dot com.

Kristian Vaaf,
R&D | http://www.designcouncil.org.uk