changing Sendmail server's IP address, nightmare!

Derek Ragona derek at computinginnovations.com
Sun Feb 26 07:10:13 PST 2006

As far as I know, sendmail uses DNS and the server's name resolution it is
running on for the IP's.  There is nowhere I know in sendmail where an IP
is hard coded.  If you are having any difficulty it is due to changes to
your DNS, and the time it takes for DNS changes to propagate across the net.

It sounds like you were doing too many changes at one time, moving to a new
ISP which would require a change to all your IP addresses, AND changing
your DNS from internal to the ISP's.

In making these changes you need to first get on your new IP block, so you
have internet access.  Then update your DNS records for the new IP
addresses.  Then as a last step move the DNS to your ISP, making your
server's DNS a slave DNS or just a caching DNS server.

In making a move to your ISP's DNS be aware ISP's do NOT usually update
their DNS maps often, typically once a week, then the new maps begin
proliferating which usually takes 24-72 hours.

Hope this helps.

         -Derek