Can't seem to boot from 6.0-RELEASE

Nikolas Britton nikolas.britton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 11:37:32 PST 2006

On 2/24/06, Alex Zbyslaw <xfb52 at dial.pipex.com> wrote:
> Alex Mayfield wrote:
>
> > I have tried both the 6.1 and 5.4 CD's, both of them bombing at the
> > exact same point the 6.0 boot failed.  I'll try 5.5 sometime tomorrow,
> > though I kinda doubt it would make a difference.  Is there anything
> > else I can try?
>
> If 6.1 and 5.4 fail then it seems really likely that 5.5 will fail too.
> In your shoes I would start changing BIOS options one at a time -
> anything that might have an effect like ACPI, memory holes, making sure
> plug 'n' play is off.  I'm no expert on that kind of thing.  If no-one
> here has any better ideas then you could also try re-posting on the
> freebsd-hardware list and see if anyone there can help.  You could also
> check that there is no newer BIOS for the mobo.

Your mainboard has two primary models and also goes by other names:
755FXK8AA-8EKRS: a.k.a. K8S755FXA-8EKRS
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=755FXK8AA-8EKRS%3Cbr%3EAlso%20known%20as%20K8S755FXA-8EKRS

755FXK8AA-ERS: a.k.a. K8S755FXA-6ELRS, a.k.a K8S755FXA-ERS
http://www.foxconnchannel.com/productsDownload_motherboard2.cfm?pMotherboard=755FXK8AA-ERS%3Cbr%3EAlso%20known%20as%20K8S755FXA-6ELRS%3Cbr%3EAlso%20known%20as%20K8S755FXA-ERS

Flash the BIOS with the newest version and try FreeBSD.

Next, Use "Load Fail-Safe Defaults" and try FreeBSD.

If those don't work change these settings and try again:
Advanced BIOS Features Menu:
Gate A20 Option = Normal
APIC Mode = Disabled
MPS Version Control For OS = Try a Diffrent Setting
Video BIOS Shadow = Disabled

SIS OnChip PCI Device Menu:
SIS USB Controller = Disabled
SIS AC97 Audio = Disabled
SIS S/W Modem = Disabled
SIS Serial ATA Controller = Disabled

Onboard SuperIO Device Menu:
Lan Controller = Disabled
Onboard FDC Controller = Disabled
Onboard Serial Port 1/2 = Disabled
Onboard Parallel Port = Disabled

Power Management Setup Menu:
ACPI function = Disabled

PnP/PCI Configurations Menu:
Reset Configuration Data = Enabled
Your best bets are:
APIC Mode = Disabled
ACPI function = Disabled
And Disable all the Hardware listed above

You should be booting FreeBSD with verbose output too

--
BSD Podcasts @ http://bsdtalk.blogspot.com/