10 years of "The Complete FreeBSD"

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Thu Feb 23 22:20:31 PST 2006

On Thursday, 23 February 2006 at 23:44:30 -0500, David Stanford wrote:
> On 2/23/06, Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org> wrote:
>>
>> Ten years ago today, on 24 February 1996, I submitted for publication
>> the final version of the first ever book on FreeBSD, "Installing and
>> Using FreeBSD".  It was later renamed to "The Complete FreeBSD".
>>
>> I have always retained full rights to the book, and for today I've
>> decided to release it for download under the Creative Commons
>> license.  See more at http://www.lemis.com/grog/Documentation/CFBSD/.
>
> Greg,
>
> All I can think to say is thanks!

You (and everybody else) are welcome.

> I purchased this book nearly a year ago shortly after I began using
> FreeBSD and it has been an invaluable resource ever since. Now that
> you have made it publicly available, maybe the FreeBSD project could
> find a way to merge some of your book in with their own handbook

That's happened already, as you can easily see by comparing
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/vinum-vinum.html
with chapter 12 of the book.  The FreeBSD documentation project know
they can rely on me to contribute documentation where it makes sense.

> or at least link it on FreeBSD.org for newbies like myself to easily
> find :).

That's probably a good idea.  Can somebody from the doc project
comment?

Greg