Can't seem to boot from 6.0-RELEASE

Alex Zbyslaw xfb52 at dial.pipex.com
Thu Feb 23 11:43:48 PST 2006

Nikolas Britton wrote:

>I see, do the Intel EMT-64 chips use the amd64 release too? And what
>did he mean by "certain programs being unavalable for amd64", what are
>the major ones?

There seems to be an IA-64 which I guess is Intel.  Only buy AMD chips
myself, so I'm a bit hazy on that.  I'm sure freebsd.org has the answer
somewhere :-)

Major programs include java, and I think, Linux 32-bit compatibility.
You can see a complete list of ports which fail to build at
http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/ e.g. the ones not building under 5-STABLE
for AMD64 are in
http://pointyhat.freebsd.org/errorlogs/amd64-5-failure.html.  Of course,
some of those packages just fail to build anywhere!  But lack of java
and nvidia are big stumblers for many who might otherwise try 64-bit on
a desktop.  For a pure server, given the time, I'd certainly experiment
with 64-bit.  Unfortunately, all "my" pure servers run Linux - not
through choice :-(

You described 64-bit chips as bleeding edge, but I really don't think
they are any more.  Dual cores may be bleeding edge and SLI may be
bleeding edge, but bog standard 64-bit processors running a 32-bit OS
are dead common and usually seem to work.  No doubt there are some
chipsets/motherboards that are worse than others, but that's the same
for any architecture.  Buying anything to run FreeBSD well has always
been a matter of checking the hardware lists carefully and backing that
up with google.  8 months ago I had no trouble finding an AMD 939 64 bit
motherboard that would work well with FreeBSD.

--Alex