trouble finding burner (k3b)

Duane Whitty duane at greenmeadow.ca
Wed Feb 22 20:28:10 PST 2006

Peter wrote:
> This k3b program is great but it I find it very picky.  Currently it
> cannot detect my DVD/CD burner (/dev/acd1) anymore.  It can find my CDROM
> (/dev/acd0) allright but it claims the permissions may be wrong on the
> burner.  I checked and these devices have the same permissions.  I even
> gave them both 777 without success in detection.  They are also both owned
> by root:operator and my invoking user is in group operator.  This used to
> work great.  I haven't tried to burn anything recently so I don't know
> when things fell apart but what I can say is yesterday I recompiled my
> kernel.  I used the same config file with one line being added (for USB
> 2.0 support; ehci).  Anyone have any ideas?  I'm running 5.4 although
> today I was surprised that dmesg showed this:
>
> FreeBSD 5.5-PRERELEASE #1: Tue Feb 21 15:23:16 EST 2006
>
> Is this normal?
>
> p.s. I can mount the DVD drive and read its media.
>
> --
> Peter

Hi,

I have a similar problem in that k3b cannot find
my DVD/CD burner.  However I haven't received any
messages about permissions.

On a hunch I started X as root and k3b was then
able to find my hardware.  This doesn't really
solve the problem but it was a quick work-around
for me until I figure this out.

Note: I too changed permissions to 666 on
/dev/acd0 and /dev/cd0 to no avail.

Maybe someone with more experience could jump in here?

hth,

--Duane