Newbie Alert : pkg_add and packages Q (do not want to compile)

Ow Mun Heng Ow.Mun.Heng at wdc.com
Wed Feb 22 19:09:43 PST 2006

On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 21:37 -0500, fbsd_user wrote:
> do pkg_info
> look in the output for xterm. it will contain its complete name
> if its name in the list output is xterm-203  then

I did that.

> pkg_delete xterm-203   this will remove it

It says dependencies on xorg-clients.

Another poster said to use "-f (force)" but I don't like that. This
usually means there are underlying deps which can cause errors. eg:
changed libraries libXXX.so.Y

> then pkg_add -rv xterm  should fetch the package from the ports
> collection and install it.

> There is a better explanation of the ports collection in the install
> guide at
> www.a1poweruser.com

I read that already. That's how I knew to use the _exact_name with the
version suffix. And besides, it only mentions how to add a new package
and not upgrade an existing package.

The problem with the deps is just un-nerving.

I just want to update to the latest *binary* package and not do a source
compile. These are just small packages, what happens when I want to
upgrade to the latest gnome version? I rather get packages than compile.

Thanks

--
Ow Mun Heng
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!