Can't seem to boot from 6.0-RELEASE

Alex Mayfield alexmayfield at carolina.rr.com
Wed Feb 22 12:17:10 PST 2006

I'm rather new to FreeBSD, and have been wanting to try it out.  However,
I am unable to boot from either the i386 6.0-RELEASE bootonly or the i386
6.0-RELEASE disc 1 CD.  I'm running an Athlon 64 3000+ on a WinFast
755FXK8AA motherboard (Socket 939, SiS 755 North Bridge, SiS 964 South
Bridge).  The boot CD dies right after ago0: figures out my SiS 755 with:

panic: pmap_mapdev: Couldn't alloc kernel virtual memory.

Having searched for my problem before posting, I found that another
individual has had a similar problem to mine:

http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?20060122170123.I76421

I followed his initiative and tried the boot option that didn't use ACPI.
No dice.  I also checked the MD5 of both CD's and they checked out fine.
Finally, I tried to boot the amd64 version of FreeBSD, and this time it
booted just fine and I got to an installation screen.  However, given the
fact that there are no nvidia drivers for the 64 bit version, and certain
programs being unavalable for amd64, I'd really just prefer to use the
i386 version instead.

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Alex