Making APC 500 Back UPS (basic) work with FreeBSD

Donald J. O'Neill duncan.fbsd at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 05:09:32 PST 2006

On Wednesday 22 February 2006 05:07, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
> [...]

Bill Gates had come out with: you can't do multi-user, multitasking with
an 8 bit micro-processor. Here was this inexpensive computer from Radio
Shack, already on the market, that would if you used OS9, also
available from Radio Shack. About that time, I decided that Bill Gates
aught to pay more attention to what was going on.

At that time, my concern with, and about, power backup units was
somewhere between none and none. I did know what one was, what it did,
and why it was desirable to have one. I just didn't really have a need
for one for a long time. After all, if you shutoff the PC, who cared if
the power went down - as long as you shut down before that happened.

As to your last statement, I'm wondering if you were saying, in a
different way: they took a nice, simple piece of equipment, that did
its job well, and added capabilities to it, that in order to utilize
them, required more capabilities added to the units they were supplying
power backup to. Ah, I see by your later post to the list & OP, given
more in depth and with good advice, that's what you meant.

Don