best approach to clone a disk?

Alec Berryman alec at thened.net
Tue Feb 14 09:07:39 PST 2006

Joe Auty on 2006-02-14 11:49:05 -0500:

> What is the best way to clone a disk in FreeBSD?

[...]

> Can I use DD on two disks of different size? Do you recommend Ghost
> for Unix?

g4u is a very nice wrapper for dd.  I've had great success with it for
identically-sized disks; there shouldn't be a problem if the target
disk is larger than the source disk, because you can edit the
partitions around and then growfs.

Don't overlook tar, though - it doesn't care about disk sizes as long
as you have enough free space, doesn't care about partitions, and is
simpler in many cases.  If you boot up to the fixit image from an
install CD you can partition and newfs to however you like and then
untar.