best approach to clone a disk?

Don Hinton don.hinton at vanderbilt.edu
Tue Feb 14 09:04:17 PST 2006

Hi Joe:

On Tuesday 14 February 2006 10:49, Joe Auty wrote:
> Okay,
>
> In taking the advice of an earlier poster in suggesting that the
> instructions located here:
>
> http://www.unixcities.com/howto/
>
> Are rather old, allow me to make my question a little broader in scope:
>
> What is the best way to clone a disk in FreeBSD? Do you have any step-
> by-step instructions? The instructions I used above (even replacing
> the restore -r flag with a -x) produced a core dump.
>
> Can I use DD on two disks of different size? Do you recommend Ghost
> for Unix? Any other suggestions or recommendations should the dump
> command just not work for me?

One of our grad students recently posted a how to on using Frisbee here at
ISIS.  The only difference is that you'll need another server somewhere with
imagezip install instead of ours.  You can find the how to here:

https://research.isis.vanderbilt.edu/ir_wiki/Using_Frisbee_to_take_an_image_of_a_hard_drive

Please let us know if it contains any omissions or errors and we'll fix the
page.  Btw, I've been told that this will only image a partition, not the
master boot record, so you'll need that on the destination as well.

This is what emulab uses to image drives, and works for several OS's,
including FreeBSD, Linux, and Windows.

hth...
don

> Thanks in advance!

Don Hinton <don.hinton at vanderbilt.edu>      tel: 615.480.5667
ISIS, Vanderbilt University                  skype: donhinton
http://people.vanderbilt.edu/~don.hinton/