Undefined Symbol "resVgaShared" after upgrade to xorg 6.9

Kevin Kinsey kdk at daleco.biz
Mon Feb 13 09:31:22 PST 2006

Tom Grove wrote:

> I did a portupgrade this weekend and today my screen
> res went to 1024x768...that's not my normal resolution.
> I did some tinkering and found that no drivers showed
> up in xorgcfg when I try to setup my card.  I looked at
> some logs and found this error message:
>
> Undefined symbol "resVgaShared"
>

> I'm not really sure what it means and was wondering
> if anyone else ran into similar problems? I'm running 6-stable
> and have an ATI radeon mobile card. In 6.8 everything worked
> fine...only after the upgrade did I start having problems.
>
> -Tom

Wow, I didn't know 6.8 was even out! </crash-boom>
          --- gee, what kinda guy makes fun of typos?  Please
                forgive my obvious trolling :-) and let's move on...

Anyway, I'd like to have seen a little more information in
your posting:

       ---is xorg the only thing that got upgraded?
       ---what window manager/environment are you using?
                *Was it upgraded?
       ---what does your xorg configuration file say in re:
                *driver
                *screen definitions
       ---what is your "normal resolution"?

IANAE, but I'd wonder if, since X seems to at least
run, if the issue isn't "resVgaShared" so much as
a change somewhere else.  Gnome, KDE and I think
XFCE all do some X management themselves (as do
some others, probably) and a change in your WM might
have caused your screen resolution to change also....

Of course, either of us could be barking up the wrong
tree on this one.

Kevin Kinsey

--
You may be infinitely smaller than some things,
but you're infinitely larger than others.