Firewall/Web server difficulties

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 06:10:32 PST 2006

All right. I've got my firewall up and running, and my workstation can
get almost anywhere it needs to just fine.

The lone exception being the web server located on the firewall machine
itself.

I can access it by directly referencing the private-interface IP, but if
my workstation tries to get to the public-interface IP, nothing happens.
Can't even ping it. ICMP and port 80 TCP should both be allowed from
anywhere... but they're not getting through. (So far as I can tell, it's
not just me who's unable to access these.)

Does NAT simply not allow for servers to be running on the machine that
performs it? I know it's not ideal, but I don't have the room to install
another machine even if that were in my budget. I've set up NAT and IPFW
per the directions in the handbook, and aside from that one difficulty,
everything seems to be working.

Please reply off the list.

Thanks in advance,

-BB