Getting a new server

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at toybox.placo.com
Sat Feb 4 00:54:30 PST 2006

I frankly think a lot of this concern is redicoulously overrated these
days.
Modern disks and hardware being what it is, compared to the speed of
the network that the users are tied to the server with, pretty much means
your going to get the same performance out of a maildir or mailbox
format.
I have one mailbox for example, that is accessed via IMAP, that has over
16 THOUSAND messages in it.  (the max displayable limit of e-mail
messages in Outlook is 16384, by they way)  This is mailbox format and
access to this box is production-quality speed.

Having a hierarchical directory structure was much more of a concern
years
ago but FreeBSD has directory caching built in now and doesen't suffer
from
scanning large directories.

A much more important issue with e-mail is the issue of supporting IMAP.

If you are an ISP and your users are NOT demanding IMAP (ie: they are a
bunch of home endusers) then qpopper/sendmail combo is perfectly fine
and will kick ass.  It also has a big advantage in that it makes the mail
directory self-cleaning.

But if your users are corporate types with a need for multiple accesses
into
their mailbox (webmail for example) then you need to get into IMAP.

Furthermore, we stopped doing the "go into users mailbox and fix issues"
a while ago because of support concerns.  Today, if a user's mailbox gets
corrupted and they call in, I make them to go into our Horde/IMP webmail
interface and clean their own damn mailbox out.  I don't have time for it
and
IMP has never failed to digest the most corrupted mailbox imaginable.
And
once they learn how to do it themselves, the next time it happens they
don't call in, they just fix it themselves.  Given a choice most users
would much
rather know how to fix it themselves rather than call us anyway.  Some of
them
like IMP enough so that they give up Outlook or whatever and just use the
webinterface all the time, which suits me fine.

Ted