Any idea when Xorg 7.0's coming to FBSD?

Björn König bkoenig at cs.tu-berlin.de
Fri Feb 3 03:39:09 PST 2006

Kent Stewart schrieb:
> On Thursday 02 February 2006 23:53, Björn König wrote:
>
>>The noticeable difference is that 7.0 takes much more time to compile
>>all in all because of its modularity. A German magazine tested both:
>>6.9 took 19 minutes and 7.0 75 minutes on their dual Opteron 246
>>machine with 2 GB RAM (source: iX 1/2006).
>
> Differences like that usually point out a poor interaction between the
> files and the make process. [...]

As far as I know they use the wide spreaded tools automake, autoconf,
libtool and pkgconfig to prepare the build process. I'm sure most users
noticed that executing ./configure takes a lot of time in many cases. It
may be that 7.0 takes so much time because it is frequently testing
whether strlen() exists or not. :-P

Björn