Attention: Garrett Cooper (Was: SSH with Public Key Authentication)

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Thu Feb 2 19:49:37 PST 2006

On 2006-02-03 14:42, david bryce <davidbryce at fastmail.fm> wrote:
>On Fri, 3 Feb 2006 05:31:48 +0200, "Giorgos Keramidas"
><keramida at ceid.upatras.gr> said:
>>> Is there any way of replying to a message from the list without
>>> subscribing to the list? If the poster cc'ed me when he sent the
>>> message to the list, I know I can just reply to that and cc the
>>> list, and the freebsd archive web page knows automatically to
>>> attach my message to the thread. But what if the poster didn't
>>> cc my email? Or if I just want to reply to a message that wasn't
>>> sent to me?
>>
>> All the mailers have a "reply to all" or "group reply" feature.
>>
>> Just use that by default, and limit "reply" (to the author only) for
>
> Thanks, Giorgos. I think I didn't explain myself clearly in my
> question.  To rephrase: If I am not subscribed to the mailing list, is
> there a way I can reply to a message from the list (and have it
> attached to the correct thread)?

Not easily.

> Also, supposing I just subscribed to the mailing list today: is there
> a way I can reply to a message that appeared on the list last month
> (that I saw in the web based archive)? I.e a message that was sent to
> the list before I subscribed to the list.

You can download "raw" copies of the messages from:

    http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/

and import these into your mailer, i.e. this week's freebsd-questions
traffic is available at:

    http://docs.freebsd.org/mail/archive/2006/freebsd-questions/20060129.freebsd-questions.html

By following the [Archive] link near the bottom of the page, you can
download a compressed mailbox with the messages displayed in each week's
listing.

Then replying works as usual :)