Getting a new server

Lisa Casey lisa at jellico.com
Wed Feb 1 07:27:53 PST 2006

Hi,

My company (a medium sized ISP) has decided to replace one of our mail
servers. We need more CPU power, memory, etc. My boss is talking about
getting 2 good size hard drives with a raid card to mirror these. I was
planning to install FreeBSD 5.3 (because that's the latest distro I have
CD's for) unless anyone has a good reason why not.

I'll be installing Sendmail, mimedefang/spamassassin (somewhat CPU
intensive), bind (for  a caching name server), Qpopper, procmail. We
currently have 500 - 600 mail accounts on the current server, and plan to
move these to the new server plus use the new one for growth (I don't know
how quickly new mail accounts will be added, but say 20 to 50 accounts per
month.

What would you folks reccomend as far as hardware goes? Hard drive size, CPU
type,  amount of RAM, etc.?

Thanks for the input.

Lisa Casey