how do I see security logs without turning on sendmail?

Tuareg tuaregmex at gmail.com
Fri Dec 15 10:37:32 PST 2006

On 12/13/06, Gerard Seibert <gerard at seibercom.net> wrote:

> You need to check out this URL:
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

Also, Sendmail is invoked from the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file. You over
> ride it in the /etc/rc.conf file. In FreeBSD 5.0,
>
>         SENDMAIL_ENABLE="NONE"
>
> is not the proper way to disable Sendmail. Check out the above URL for
> further information.
>
> --
> Gerard

Hello Gerard, We've read this link.... and we have this line in /etc/rc.conf

sendmail_enable="NONE"

In /etc/defaults/rc.conf these are the lines wich contain "sendmail":

mta_start_script="/etc/rc.sendmail"

# Settings for /etc/rc.sendmail:
sendmail_enable="YES"   # Run the sendmail inbound daemon (YES/NO/NONE).
                        # If NONE, don't start any sendmail processes.
sendmail_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (as a server)
sendmail_submit_enable="YES"    # Start a localhost-only MTA for mail
submission
sendmail_submit_flags="-L sm-mta -bd -q30m
-ODaemonPortOptions=Addr=localhost"
sendmail_outbound_enable="YES"  # Dequeue stuck mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_outbound_flags="-L sm-queue -q30m" # Flags to sendmail (outbound
only)
sendmail_msp_queue_enable="YES" # Dequeue stuck clientmqueue mail (YES/NO).
sendmail_msp_queue_flags="-L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q30m"
                                # Flags for sendmail_msp_queue daemon.

/etc/rc.sendmail doesn't exists.

And /etc/rc.conf:

### Network daemon (miscellaneous) & NFS options: ###
sendmail_enable="NONE"  # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
cron_enable="YES"       # Run the periodic job daemon.
portmap_enable="NO"     # Run the portmapper service (or NO).
usbd_enable="NO"
sshd_enable="YES"
tcp_drop_synfin="YES"
tcp_restrict_rst="YES"
syslogd_enable="YES"            # Run syslog daemon (or NO).
syslogd_flags="-s -s"           # Flags to syslogd (if enabled).

This is for FreeBSD 4.6-RELEASE

And at this point, I just get a little more confused with this settings.