how do I see security logs without turning on sendmail?

Gerard Seibert gerard at seibercom.net
Wed Dec 13 17:25:00 PST 2006

On Wednesday December 13, 2006 at 06:26:58 (PM) Chad Gross wrote:

> On 12/13/06, Lane <lane at joeandlane.com> wrote:

> > > cat /etc/rc.conf
> > >
> > > ### Network daemon (miscellaneous) & NFS options: ###
> > > sendmail_enable="NONE"  # Run the sendmail daemon (or NO).
> > > cron_enable="YES"       # Run the periodic job daemon.
> > > portmap_enable="NO"     # Run the portmapper service (or NO).
> > > usbd_enable="NO"
> > > sshd_enable="YES"
> > > tcp_drop_synfin="YES"
> > > tcp_restrict_rst="YES"
> > > syslogd_enable="YES"            # Run syslog daemon (or NO).
> > > syslogd_flags="-s -s"           # Flags to syslogd (if enabled).

> > >  ls -al /usr/local/etc/rc.d
> > > total 10
> > > drwxr-xr-x  2 root  wheel  512 Jan 23  2003 .
> > > drwxr-xr-x  4 root  wheel  512 Oct 30 18:06 ..
> > > -rwxr--r--  1 root  wheel  624 Jan 14  2003 squid.sh
> > >
> > > And that's all.
> > Tuareg,
> >
> > Yours is a mystery.
> >
> > Let's see the output of
> >
> > tail -200 /var/log/maillog
> >
> > from the working machine.
> >
> > Clearly there is no mta being started on boot.  But I'm not familiar
> > enough
> > with squid to say for sure that it is not the daemon in question.  It may
> > be
> > that squid is configurable so that it could be delivering the log
> > messages.
> >
> > I'll make it and see what I can see.
> >
> > In the mean time, if anyone else has some ready experience to say for
> > certain
> > that this is probably what's happening, then jump right in.
> >
> > lane
> >

> You need something to be able to send emails to mail servers. Either a MUA
> which is capable of doing so (of which mail(8) is not) or an MTA locally.
>
> Are you sure you didn't follow these instructions on the other servers:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/outgoing-only.html

You need to check out this URL:

	http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html

Also, Sendmail is invoked from the /etc/defaults/rc.conf file. You over
ride it in the /etc/rc.conf file. In FreeBSD 5.0,

	SENDMAIL_ENABLE="NONE"

is not the proper way to disable Sendmail. Check out the above URL for
further information.

--
Gerard