periodic passwd change?

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Tue Dec 12 13:29:59 PST 2006

Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:57:22PM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
>> Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
>>> 	I can't see how to prescribe periodic passwd change,
>>> only how to set expiry time. At the moment I put the following
>>> line in the root's crontab:
>>>
>>> 2 2 2 * * pw usermod shterenl -p "`date '+\%d-\%m-\%Y'`"
>>>
>>> This makes a user's passwd expire once a month.
>>>
>>> Is there a better way to force users change their passwds periodically?
>> You can set it in login.conf, when the password is updated the next
>> expire is automatically set.
>
> I checked login.conf. It seems that passwordtime option has no effect.
> I did a brief search and found many postings describing the same problem:
> many options from login.conf have no effect. Perhaps these are the
> "RESERVED CAPABILITIES' as they are called in the man page. Some people
> list a patch that supposedly fixes the problem, but I'm not sure if it
> applies to 6.2-prerelease thatI'm running.
>
> thanks
> anton
did you remember to cap_mkdb after? from the man page:

"Whenever changes to this, or the user's ~/.login_conf, file are made,
the modifications will not be picked up until cap_mkdb(1) is used to
compile the file into a database."

Cheers, Erik

--
Ph: +34.666334818                      web: http://www.locolomo.org