periodic passwd change?

Anton Shterenlikht mexas at bristol.ac.uk
Tue Dec 12 04:20:31 PST 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:57:22PM +0100, Erik Norgaard wrote:
> Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> >	I can't see how to prescribe periodic passwd change,
> >only how to set expiry time. At the moment I put the following
> >line in the root's crontab:
> >
> >2 2 2 * * pw usermod shterenl -p "`date '+\%d-\%m-\%Y'`"
> >
> >This makes a user's passwd expire once a month.
> >
> >Is there a better way to force users change their passwds periodically?
>
> You can set it in login.conf, when the password is updated the next
> expire is automatically set.

I checked login.conf. It seems that passwordtime option has no effect.
I did a brief search and found many postings describing the same problem:
many options from login.conf have no effect. Perhaps these are the
"RESERVED CAPABILITIES' as they are called in the man page. Some people
list a patch that supposedly fixes the problem, but I'm not sure if it
applies to 6.2-prerelease thatI'm running.

thanks
anton