skype and other *phones

Eric Kjeldergaard kjelderg at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 23:05:09 PST 2006

On 12/10/06, Tsu-Fan Cheng <tfcheng at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi people,
>   hapy holiday! i have a question about the internet phone apps, what is
> the
> major difference between skype and other *phone system? and I know that
> bsd
> has limited support of sound card that works with skype in the past, I
> wonder if the support is getting better these days? and also how is the
> driver support for other *phone apps? thank you for your time!!

If you are open to suggestions on other  phone systems, I have been very
much enjoying my gizmo account.  (gizmoproject.com)  I generally use ekiga
to connect to it, but the benefit of gizmo is that it uses the standard SIP
protocol for accessing the service.  Further, the rates are quite good.  For
free it gives services like incoming phone calls, voice mail, and free
SIP<->SIP calls.  For a $.01/minute (for US numbers) fee it gives outgoing
to-landline calls.  Don't mean to sound like an advertisement, I just love
open standards being used.

Eric Kjeldergaard

--
If I write a signature, my emails will appear more personalised.