VPN Solution for my current Situation.

stom at free.fr stom at free.fr
Mon Dec 11 07:25:05 PST 2006

Hi

Selon Nathan Vidican <nvidican at wmptl.com>:

> perikillo wrote:
> >  Hi people.
> >
> >  I want to know which is the best VPN solution i need to my current
> > situation:
> >
> > 2 Offices  1 Mexico-Tijuana 1 E.U.-Otay Mesa(both in the border).
> >
> > In E.U. Offices with have:
> >
> > DNS+Firewall+Proxy  Linux
> > Mail Server Linux
> > Samba Linux
> > PBX Altigen Win NT
> > ERP DBA Linux
> > Backup FreeBSD.
> >
> > Mexico
> > PBX Same system
> > Samba
> > ERP DBA(This is the busies from both sites)
> > Backup FreeBSD
> >
> > 65 User 55 Mexico 10 E.U.
> >   40 user in Mexico have mail account && only 15 Internet access
> >   all the users in E.U have mail account && Internet access.
> >
> > We share files, E.U. users access the ERP system in Mexico.
> >
> > If the users in Mexico need Internet, they have to reach the proxy in
> > E.U.
> >
> > Both PBX systems have communication for company internal calls, external
> > calls.
> >
> > All this communication of Voice and Data goes over one private link, but
> > next year our contract is going to finish, them we need to negotiate the
> > next contract.
> >
> > Another thing, is that we are planning to start the VoIP solution and
> > see is
> > we can remove our current PBX system with Asterisk.
> >
> > My  questions es this: Supposed that we continue with the same Private
> > Line,
> > and we add another public line to do some VPN between both facilities
> > if one
> > link fail the other can continue(backup) or have both sharing the
> > workload,
> > with this workload which VPN solution is the best for my situation:
> >
> > IPsec, OpenVPN, etc?
> >
> > Speaking of FreeBSD, because there is where i want to deploy the VPN
> > solution in Mexico, in E.U. we have there Linux, this can be problematic?
> >
> > Hope you understand my layout && english, any advice is welcome,
> > thanks all
> > for your time!!!
> >

> mpd for FreeBSD... it just works.

The choice is "up to you" - We also use OpenVPN for site-to-site VPN SSL tunnels
and it is also a good and easy solution. Authentication is based on X509
certificates for cross-authentication - With OpenVPN's multiple and
fine-grained options.

We have good performance with strong encryption options.

The protocol (UDP) encapsulation is also a nice feature.

The Linux<->FreeBSD is not a problem at all.