Any issue having multiple sound cards running at the same time in 6.1?

Garrett Cooper youshi10 at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 30 19:32:28 UTC 2006

Karol Kwiatkowski wrote:

>>> In principle, there's no problem.  But most software will only drive
>>> one audio device at a time.  Also, note that running long cables at
>>> fairly low signal levels can degrade the audio quality...
>>>
>> Good points... but no reason I couldn't run three flac123 processes and
>> point each to their own /dev/ entry...?
>>

> I'm using two sound cards all the time. One (Audigy, PCI) to make
> noise in my room (music/tv/etc), and the second (nVidia, onboard) to
> make calls with skype or listen to music late at night.
>
> I don't know about flac123 - have a look at it's manpage - but at
> least with xmms, mplayer and skype (that's what I've got here) you can
> change output /dev/dsp device to whichever you like.
>
> HTH,
>
> Karol
    Just looking at the source a bit for libao and flac123, it appears
that flac123 is capable of using multiple sound daemons to send
information out to the soundcard. So, if you configure OSS and arts
(assuming you have arts installed) differently in terms of which default
device the daemon uses when playing sound, you should be ok I think.
Other than that, I think you're stuck because OSS doesn't support sound
input from multiple sources, and last I remember arts and the rest that
actually supported taking sound from multiple inputs didn't support
outputting sound on multiple cards simultaneously.
-Garrett