Intel 64bit / AMD 64 bit advantage

ke han ke.han at redstarling.com
Mon Aug 28 01:47:20 UTC 2006

On Aug 28, 2006, at 4:03 AM, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

>> 32 vs 64 bits does not give you any raw performance boost for most
>> apps.  The
>
> yes it will. FreeBSD/amd64 works at least 10% faster than FreeBSD/
> i386 on athlon64 machine, when i386 version were recompiled for P4.
> With default FreeBSD/i386 - it will be at least 30%.
>
> just because it's not just 64-bit addresses, but twice the
> registers (r8-r15) allowing C compiler to generate more efficient
> code.
>
> For now AMD64 is the fastest and cheapest architecture - at least
> with AMD processors, not intel clones. (YES now intel makes clones
> of AMD processors)

I stand corrected ;-)...This is good info, thanks.

However, to the original post, you will not see 10-30 % performance
difference on your email or file sharing between an Intel Celeron and
AMD Opteron.   These types of  apps are Disk and Network IO bound.
Spend your money on redundancy/fail-over of hard drive and power
supply.  Also choosing a well regarded NIC is important.

ke han