The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Fri Aug 25 17:21:48 UTC 2006

On 2006-08-25 05:50, David J Brooks <daeg at houston.rr.com> wrote:
>On Friday 25 August 2006 04:19, Kyrre Nyg?rd wrote:
>> Hello!
>>
>> I am just wondering why it says:
>>
>>       "The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved."
>>
>> when I log in locally, but:
>>
>>       "The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved."
>>
>> when I log in via SSH? The difference for you with untrained eyes is the
>> double spacing after the dot instead of the standard single spacing.
>>
>> I was just curious if there's a reason to this or not.
>
> Back in the Jurassic era, when typewriters still roamed the earth, it was a
> convention to leave a double-space following a period so that the reader
> could more easily distinguish the end of a sentence. With the advent of word
> processors (and proportional fonts) this double-spacing convention lapsed.

Which is very unfortunate, since none of the, so called, word "processors"
can get it right(TM).  Only TeX is a typesetting program that I have found
smart enough to deal with properly spacing sentences, without the need for
this doubled space character :-(

> My guess is that the code for SSH was written by someone who learned to
> type on a typewriter, or was taught by someone who learned to type that
> way.

A lot of people still use non-proportional fonts; especially when reading
and/or writing program sources ;-)

You really hit the mark with typewriter habits vs. word processors though :)