The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved.

David J Brooks daeg at houston.rr.com
Fri Aug 25 10:50:08 UTC 2006

On Friday 25 August 2006 04:19, Kyrre Nygård wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am just wondering why it says:
>
>       "The Regents of the University of California. All rights reserved."
>
> when I log in locally, but:
>
>       "The Regents of the University of California.  All rights reserved."
>
> when I log in via SSH? The difference for you with untrained eyes is the
> double spacing after the dot instead of the standard single spacing.
>
> I was just curious if there's a reason to this or not.

Back in the Jurassic era, when typewriters still roamed the earth, it was a
convention to leave a double-space following a period so that the reader
could more easily distinguish the end of a sentence. With the advent of word
processors (and proportional fonts) this double-spacing convention lapsed.

My guess is that the code for SSH was written by someone who learned to type
on a typewriter, or was taught by someone who learned to type that way.

David
--
Sure the Almighty created the world in only six days,
but He didn't have an established user-base.