GRUB Problems with Dell Optiplex GX1

backyard backyard1454-bsd at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 22 18:30:54 UTC 2006

--- Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> On Aug 21, 2006, at 6:41 PM, backyard wrote:
>

> > --- Garrett Cooper <youshi10 at u.washington.edu>
> wrote:

> >> this
> >> the

> >> the
> >> It
> >> console
> not

> >> Dell
> before
> this

> >> FreeBSD folks tend not to use Grub, but some of
> us
> >> do use it as opposed
> >> to FreeBSD's bootmanager.
> >>
> >> Please post the steps you use to install grub and
> >> the output those steps
> >> give you, and your grub.conf.
> >>
> >> -Garrett
> >
> > #menu.lst
> > default 0
> > timeout 7
> > fallback 1
> > #password --md5 some kind of password that is
> encypted
> > splashimage (fd0)/boot/grub/opt/smurffed.xpm.gz
> >
> > title  BSD
> > root (hd0,0,a)
> > kernel /boot/loader
> >
> > title Hold the Phone
> > halt
> >
> > title Reset me
> > reboot
> >
> > title Floppy Boot
> > lock
> > root (fd0)
> > chainloader
> > #EOF menu.lst
> >
> > here is my menu.lst off my grub install floppy.
> this
> > was created by building grub 0.97 from ports on my
> HP
> > Kayak. the floppy was then prepared as below:
> >
> > fdformat /dev/fd0
> > newfs -O1 -n /dev/fd0
> > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> > mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub/opt
> >
> > I then copied the grub files from the
> > /usr/local/share/grub/i386-freebsd if memory
> serves me
> > correct to the /mnt/boot/grub folder. then copied
> in
> > my splashimages, then prepared menu.lst as
> described.
> > I then ran grub and setup the floppy to boot grub.
> >
> > now to install on a system I:
> > mkdir -p /boot/grub/opt
> > mount /dev/fd0 /mnt; cp -R /mnt/boot/grub
> /boot/grub
> >
> > change menu.lst as required to reference hardrives
> or
> > different boot options like a windows partition or
> > linux or whatever needs to be started up.
> >
> > boot the system with the floppy and go to grub
> > console.
> > make sure I can
> > find /boot/grub/menu.lst
> > then...
> > root (hd0,0,a) # or whatever
> > setup (hd0) # again depends
> >
> > and usually I take the floppy out, reboot, and
> grub
> > asks me what I want to boot up.

> [...]

I'll give this a whirl and report back as to what
happens, but I think I just have one of the machines
that grub just doesn't like very much. Its just a good
thing it happened to be the one machine I have that
will never see anything but BSD on it. Like I said
GRUB was just to put an inappropriate splash screen up
to tick off my friends should they ever turn the thing
on with a monitor plugged into it... That being said
it's still annoying when things don't work out the way
you want.

-brian