Boot over network

David King dking at ketralnis.com
Mon Aug 21 23:06:02 UTC 2006

>> I would like to have a FreeBSD server which would supply a few
>> workstations connected over the network a boot image

NetBSD has some very detailed instructions on netbooting at <http://
www.netbsd.org/Documentation/network/netboot/>. It is a little
specific that the booted machines boot NetBSD, but not the the server
run NetBSD, and in fact it includes instructions on setting on DHCP/
BOOTP/NFS on several architecture/operating system combinations. If
you have an Ubuntu boot image handy you can probably follow most of
those instructions and just substitute your image's filename when
appropriate.