Boot over network

Bill Moran wmoran at collaborativefusion.com
Mon Aug 21 20:20:26 UTC 2006

> Hello Folks,
>
> I was just wondering if this can be done.
>
> I would like to have a FreeBSD server which would supply a few
> workstations connected over the network a boot image. The catch is the
> boot image has to be a Ubuntu Linux image. I have a fresh installed
> FreeBSD box as well as a working Ubuntu box which boots locally. All the
> systems in question has network boot enabled NICs. Can the above setup
> be done? Any pointers would be welcome.

Yes.  It can be done.

It's a matter of enabling DHCP and TFTP and configuring each with the
correct parameters.  FreeBSD is capable of being an NFS/TFTP server and
serving out any netboot image that will work with DHCP.

Don't have any links to recommend off the top of my head, but I would
expect a little google searching should turn some stuff up.  You don't
really need FreeBSD-specific instructions, just adjust when the config
files are in different places.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.