vmware on freebsd?

Robin Becker robin at reportlab.com
Tue Aug 15 13:59:42 UTC 2006

Norberto Meijome wrote:
 > On Tue, 15 Aug 2006 02:58:23 -0400 (EDT)
 > Peter <petermatulis at yahoo.ca> wrote:
 >
 >> Is it possible to install VMWare Server on FreeBSD 6.0?  I'm looking
 >> for comments from people who may have done this.
 >
 > I may be completelly off the mark here...but I think the VMWare Server is more
 > like XEN rather than Qemu ( which is more VMWare workstation).
 >
 > AFAIK, VMWare does not support FreeBSD as a host (YES as a guest) in their
 > latest versions of the Workstation line. I havent heard of host as for the
 > Server line, but I could be wrong.
 >
 > Have you looked into Xen instead?
 >
 > Beto
well I'm trying vmware3 at the moment using 6.1 as host; the port seems to build
fine, and the wizard now runs to build a setup. I need to get a key in order to
actually run a machine, but I think overall it will eventually run XP. Had to
change my linux compatibility etc etc.

The difficulty with Xen at present is that it won't run XP/Win2k etc etc which
vmware will. Xen will eventually get there now that they've got agreements with
M$. The real problem with these emulations is how far they are from the real
hardware. USB is still "new" so I don't expect to get my usb dvbt working even
if a virtual XP runs fine. I know the qemu can do some kind of device control
under linux, but I suspect it's harder under freeBSD.
--
Robin Becker